Saturday, July 9, 2011

Writing Experiments

Gold Shoots!

A writing experiment that I did when I took creative writing. A revised version of what happened when I found out that my Grandmother had passed away.
__________________________________________________________

Gold shoots into my room as the sun begins to set. I wake from my nap feeling grateful that I didn’t have school the next day. I ran down the hall but was met with two sad eyes. My father pulls me into a hug as he starts crying. He sets me down on the torn junkyard chair that sits in the living room. He composes himself down and tells me that he just got a call. My grandmother who had been fighting cancer for a long time had passed away in her sleep. At first I couldn’t put it together, I guess I was trying to be strong, but then a painful lump formed in the back of my throat and my eyes began to water. A single tear fell onto my arms which were crossed along my stomach. Then as if someone had punched me across the face I screamed and cried till I couldn’t breathe. My grandmother was dead just five days after we celebrated Christmas; just a few moments after we had left from seeing her; a few moments after I told her I loved her, after I told her that I would see her tomorrow, after I told her goodbye.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If I were …

Another writing experiment that we did in creative writing.
________________________________________________________

If I were an Eagle with a bad eye …
Standing on the edge of the twenty foot cliff I could feel the breeze flutter through my wings. My mind wandered to my family who had left me alone to die. My birth was a miracle I heard my mother say a lot to my father.
“She’s too weak.” My father would reply with a voice of an ancient Indian Chief.
I could hear my brothers and sisters playing happily but with the forbidden sight in my left eye mother would not let me play.
I remember the air changing from warm to cool.
“We must leave.” I heard my father saying.
“But what about her, she won’t be able to fly.” My mother’s voice was sharp, hardened by something I couldn’t see.
“We have to go.” My father said sternly.
And with a sad look in my mother’s face my family was gone. I was left alone to fend for myself, to die.
Many moons had passed the seasons changed and so did my home and so did I. I had survived, teaching myself to fly so that I could search for the family that had abandoned me. I would show them, make them see that I didn’t need them, that with just one eye I survived death.

No comments:

Post a Comment